Friday 24 September 2010

Enjoy The Walk

Enjoy The Walk

These words were spoken to me by my friend Matt Schultz today as I prepared myself to joyfully bring my beautiful bride and my new born daughter home today. "Enjoy the walk" carries with it a profound meaning for me, and it is a demonstration of raw community. Of two men sharing deepest regret, painful hurt, and greatest joy together. And to me today, these are Jesus' words spoken to my soul, a demonstration of not only what we should do when life deals us a perfect hand, but what we should ALWAYS do.

Enjoy the Walk

To each of us in every moment, this is the Word - enjoy the walk.

There will be times when this is impossible.

Times of loss. When spouses die. Or get ill. when kids are gone, when sickness comes. When life is confusing. Bankruptcy. Divorce. Despair.

How do you "Enjoy the Walk" in times like these?

You don't.

But know there is someone else out there, who IS enjoying the walk who could come along side you in your time of need. I have long said that 'every need we have can perfectly be filled by another person' in the true spirit of community. That is the call of this creed - Enjoy the Walk - even in life's un-enjoyable times, to share our experience, our heartache, our devastation, our sullen state with one who can lift us up from the current mire of our existence. This is the clarion call of Christ Jesus - Enjoy the Walk.

In your blessing, in your depravity. In your abuse- and your love. In your bankruptcy-and your abundance. In your loss - and your gain.

Enjoy the walk.

Walk with one another - nothing feels better than helping someone else, then would you give the gift of launching your need into twitter, or facebook, or your community of faith, or your workplace such that, someone could walk with you? That someone could take up your slack, carry your load, help with your burden, meet your need.

I can't imagine writing this type of post in one of the hard times, I'm writing it in one of the good times, but let me tell you this, I have been carried, I have been helped, one thing I have done is I have shared my journey, I have shared my need. I have walked with others through my depravity, and at the very end of what I could endure - I found someone else, ready, willing, able, to carry me. Someone Jesus sent, because he is Lord of it all.

He is Lord of the Harvest - both the ones destroyed by flood, and those where the bins overflow.

Praise his name.

Thank YOU (ya you know who you are) for walking with me in this journey of life.

slv2all

P.S. The walk today, was down the same hallway we walked empty handed 2 years ago. Today hand in hand, I walked my Bride, and my beautiful daughter to a new Joy filled life of abundance, blessing, and a firm calling to BLESS the community that has given me so much. And as we cried, and opened that door hand in hand we remembered the deep regret, the pain, the heartache, the utter devastation - and the hope.

No comments: