Friday 3 February 2012

Existing or Living

Often, we get bogged down in the daily grind.

A question was asked to @joJDFT by @katrinalandry – she was looking for some writing on it, some perspective. I copied the question, pasted it into note pad, and let it bang around in the grey matter for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday I got my answer.

This is the question: Are you living or just existing?

I’ve done a lot of existing:

A lot of swinging my legs over the bed, taking a breath, (checking twitter….), stretching my shoulders, making my way through the darkness to find my pants, and start my day.

A bowl of cereal.

A step on the scale.

Finish getting dressed.

Start the vehicle. Feed the dog. Share a moment of thankfulness with the creator – looking at the creation around me.

Then:

Meetings, memos, coffee, reading, twitter, training, thinking, coffee, wishing, meeting, hoping, reading twitter, deciding, creating agenda, ideas, responding, questioning, more coffee, responding, processing.

Lunch. Maybe a workout.

Afternoon looks kinda the same. Then drive home, greet my family – try to BE there for them, try to apply what I’m learning about how to connect relationally with those that are important to me. Squeeze in these couple of hours of meaningful time, some teaching for my kids and some love for my wife. Then tasks take over, we do dishes, feed the dog again, etc, etc, fall into bed will hitting – repeat.

5 days a week. All the while asking myself: Are you living or just existing?


Are you LIVING?

What does that even mean?

As near as I can tell, it is the moments when something deep inside me goes POP! It is hard to explain, it isn’t necessarily emotional, but it can be, it’s like a moment when a bunch of stuff gets mysteriously connected. When past dreams and ideas suddenly come to fruition, when passions beget deep abiding joy. The moments when I have felt most alive are the moments when what is currently happening engages a deep sense of purpose mixed with history, and pride, and joy, to the extent that –THIS MOMENT propels me forcibly into the future to want to do more, to be more, to never be satisfied again with status quo.

For a couple of brief moments yesterday, I felt alive.

And it came with the small voice of an awesome man named ‘Jay’ who in his own way, said thank you.

On any given day Berachah Place, is an odd wellspring of help to Red Deer’s hurting and homeless. It is a simple space, located behind Dino’s in downtown, a stones throw from strip clubs, and night clubs. 120 of Red Deer’s homeless get help there.

A shower.

Laundry.

Warmth.

A bite to eat.

Free clothing.

Every once in a while, you wonder if what you have been supporting, what you have been doing makes a difference.

Then you have a crystallizing moment. When a simple yet profound words are spoken.

What does Berachah mean to you?

“It means life.”

These words resonated deep within my soul. And frankly, made me feel for a brief moment, that I was truly living. Somewhere back there, something little that I did, made a difference to a guy named Jay.

To exist, is to plod along, taking from this existence.

To live, is to give life.

I could have never imagined being a part of a story like Jay’s and as we sat there and listened to him recount the tale of addiction, and hurt, and how he was helped, and set free… And as tears welled up, we realized. We are a part of something special.

Because no matter how low, life is special, and giving it the opportunity to grow and flourish is a power each of us have.

This year we are doing our first annual fundraiser. You can help be a part of the story, for a person like Jay. Sign on today by following the links.

Go for a walk.

Help us Help them.

Go to http://www.berachahplace.com/CNOY.html

Blessings

Slv2all

See a video of Jay’s story here: http://tinyurl.com/Berachah-Is-Life

No comments: